ERA and EI
Excellence in research
ERA and EI explained
Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) and Engagement and Impact (EI) are Australia’s national research assessment exercises. ERA assesses research quality, while EI assesses the research engagement of a discipline and the research impact of submitted case studies. Together ERA and EI offer a comprehensive suite of indicators for assessing university research in Australia.
ERA 2023 Paused
On 30 August 2022, the Minister for Education, the Hon Jason Clare MP, issued Terms of Reference for the Review of the Australian Research Council Act 2001 (ARC Review) and issued the ARC with a new Statement of Expectations.
In response to the Statement of Expectations, Judi Zielki, CEO of the ARC, announced that the ARC would be prioritising the transition of ERA to a modern data-driven approach informed by expert review for implementation in 2024-25 and as such, the ARC would not conduct an ERA evaluation round in 2023.
The ARC Review includes a high-level review of ERA (and EI) to inform the ERA transition. Consultation for the ARC Review opened on 9 November 2022 and will close on 14 December 2022. Macquarie will provide feedback into this review, including aspects of the ERA transition, and will identify priority areas for improvement which are in the best interests of our research community.
More information about the ERA transition can be found in this ARC media release (27 September 2022).
ERA and EI 2018 Highlights
Highlights of Macquarie’s 2018 ERA results:
- 100 per cent of research rated at world standard and above at the 2-digit level
- 50 per cent increase in research rated at 5 at the 4-digit level
- Macquarie has maintained consistently excellent performance in Physical Sciences and Environmental Sciences, achieving the highest ERA ratings for these areas in 2010, 2012, 2015 and 2018
Highlights of Macquarie’s 2018 Engagement and Impact results:
- 91 per cent of Macquarie’s impact case studies have made a significant contribution beyond academia
- 100 per cent of Macquarie’s research is characterised by effective or highly effective interactions between researchers and research end-users outside of academia
ERA 2018 Ratings
Outstanding performance well above world standard
2018 Engagement and Impact Ratings
Content owner: DVC - Research Last updated: 25 Nov 2022 4:16pm